- SERVANT LEADERSHIP
Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist
Lighthouse Central Florida is a mission-driven, values based organization providing optimal blend of rehabilitation training services and real world application to help individuals of all ages, who live with any degree of vision loss to adjust to their reality with grace and confidence so that can remain active, productive members of our community.
Lighthouse has an opportunity for an experienced and Orientation and Mobility Specialist to provide Orientation and Mobility services, including low vision training. Will be working with all age groups, birth through seniors, focusing on adults. Will be assisting in ensuring that all Orientation and Mobility instruction meets or exceeds contract and grant obligations as well as professional standards.
Principal Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Conduct assigned Orientation and Mobility assessments, Comprehensive Functional Assessments, and other types of assessment (type based on the client’s age) as scheduled. Complete full and accurate documentation of each and develop required individualized service plans.
- Provide one-on-one community-based, center-based, and virtual instruction to assigned clients. Document as required.
- Develop engaging curricula, and implement effective lesson plans and activities to align with LCF’s philosophy and achieve all contract deliverables for both one-on-one and group sessions focused on the client(s)' age and skill level.
- Make recommendations for additional training (in any skill area) that can lead to obtaining a successful employment outcome or otherwise meet clients’ individual goals.
- Participate in decision-making to guide the direction of service development.
- Ensure program quality and staff/student ratios are met by attending Children’s Program and Transition events, including some weekends and Summer Programming parentheses (Ability to work a flexible schedule as necessary).
- Provide O&M services to fulfill the Memorandum of Understanding with UCP locations as the COMS for their students; this includes assessment, developing IEP goals and objectives, and fulfilling those goals and objectives.
- Model the highest standards of client advocacy.
Case Management and Reporting:
- Communicate with LCF Client Care Coordinators, DBS counselor(s), and other LCF staff as appropriate to expedite each client’s progress through service delivery.
- Assist in preparing, monitoring and reporting of data for grants, contracts and other funding sources and/or community collaborators.
- Ensure maintenance of complete, accurate and timely documentation of your assigned clients, as necessary to meet agency and contractual requirements.
- Participate in the review of DBS contracts. Advise the Manager and/or VP Chief Programs Officer and other leadership team members regarding compliance, implementation, staffing, reporting and other matters affecting the LCF/DBS relationship.
- Facilitate the request and receipt of procurement requests.
- Maintain the confidentiality of program participants in accordance with State and Federal regulations.
- Reflect Lighthouse Central Florida’s mission, vision, and values in daily interactions with clients, staff, and all external and internal constituencies.
- Identify and actively support appropriate involvement of volunteers in program functions to extend and enhance team effectiveness and efficiency. Serve as the primary staff contact for volunteers who are assisting with aspects of assigned work.
- Collaborate with Youth, Career and Client Care departments, as well as Marketing/Development to provide staffing support needed to ensure successful achievement of contract and grant deliverables.
- Support and assist in collaborative activities with community partners as assigned.
- Participate in community education and public awareness activities to develop collaboration with other agencies, municipalities, civic organizations, and schools to ensure that vision rehabilitation services are recognized as an important resource to the community and known to individuals who can benefit from services.
Planning and Service Development:
- Collaborate in the development of successive phases of the interdisciplinary model to help build a sustainable service delivery structure that will work alongside existing services and stimulate the expansion of services
- Participate in the development of engaging and creative curricula, lesson plans and therapies to meet client needs and training demands. Implement relevant therapies.
- Participate in the development, implementation, evaluation and refinement of the R360 model.
- Engage with managers in discussions about electronic medical records (EMR) and their usefulness/implementation as LCF moves toward a more integrated interdisciplinary model.
- Demonstrate an aptitude for learning and teach new instructional concepts, advancements, and approaches; be willing to modify instructional design when appropriate.
- Participate in available continuing education, attend training and conferences on new advancements and approaches in the field; share this information with co-workers, and implement the knowledge, concepts, and skills with clients.
- Participate in general agency development activities and events as appropriate and necessary.
- Participate in agency and department meetings to ensure communication and teamwork.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Masters in Visual Disabilities.
License and/or Certification
- ACVREP COMS certification at time of hire or within 2 years
- Evidence of a work history demonstrating progressive levels of responsibility and quality work required
Demonstrated Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of orientation and mobility principles and techniques, demonstrate skills in teaching Orientation and Mobility
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Possess a working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet
- Possess an ability to utilize the database for client demographics, documentation and agency reports
- Must be able to interpret eye pathology reports with respect to impact on functional ability and Orientation & Mobility
- Professional maturity, judgment, and objectivity
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and effectively work with a variety of personalities and leadership styles
- Possess effective organizational and time management skills with attention to detail, as the position requires prioritizing tasks and working independently
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, management, business professionals, civic organizations, and the general public
- Ability to project a positive, compassionate image to the public
- Ability to adapt effectively to and support change
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when appropriate
- Maintain current COMS certification by the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP)
- Must have access to access reliable transportation and regularly be able to independently travel distances consistent with training requirements for clients in varying weather conditions
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel as needed
- Pass Level II background check
Interested candidates with the designated qualifications, please respond by applying here: APPLY FOR CERTIFIED ORIENTATION & MOBILITY SPECIALIST.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact Human Resources via phone at 407-898-2483.
*It is the policy of Lighthouse Central Florida not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or because he or she is a protected veteran. It is also the policy of Lighthouse Central Florida to take affirmative action to employ and to advance in employment, all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status, and to base all employment decisions only on valid job requirements. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment.